With average student loan debt per graduate a staggering $39,400, student loans continue to create problems for individuals, families and the economy at large.
“Student loans are in crisis with two in five borrowers likely to default within five years,” states a study published in January 2018 by the Brookings Institute.
Student Loan debt has become such a major issue that there is now a TV game show based entirely on the payment of student loan debt – TruTV’s Paid Off With Michael Torpey.
Consumer Credit Counseling Service wants Western New York residents to know that although they cannot solve the student loan debt problem, they have a program that can help. It’s our region’s only program.
CCCS began its program in 2012, in response to the need for education and assistance with student loans. In the past six years, we have helped 765 achieve a level of financial freedom previously unknown.
In our program, Nationally Certified Student Loan counselors work with a broad cross section of the community to:
• Evaluate student loan debt (current or in default)
• Explore options for student loans including deferments, forbearances, alternative repayment plans, and consolidation loans and forgiveness options
• Assist in applying for the appropriate option
• Assist in communicating with the lender, as needed
• Review credit score, credit report and living expenses
• Set appropriate financial goals
The financial counseling services we provide help student loan borrowers chart a course for financial stability.
For more information or to schedule an appointment, please call 716-712-2060 or 1-800-926-9685.